The Vermeer AXIS® guided boring system is a pit-launched trenchless installation method designed to achieve pinpoint, on-grade accuracy while eliminating some of the difficult steps associated with other pipeline installation techniques. It is a combination of BOTH; - Laser-Guided Horizontal Directional Boring, and - Pipe installation by Pipe Jacking A wide range of product pipe, sizing specifications and other jobsite requirements can be met with the versatile capabilities of the AXIS® system.
Pipe Jacking & Realignment
A growing number of water, stormwater and sewer pipeline projects are required to be installed precisely on-grade for gravity flows. This work is often viewed to be tedious, labour-intensive and expensive using traditional installation methods. Some of the current trenchless methods are designed to achieve the extreme accuracy necessary for this kind of work; however, they lack the productivity needed to compete with the open-cut trenching method. Current pipe materials able to be installed using the AXIS® System, in either 2m or 3m nominal lengths include Unplasticised Polyvinyl Chloride (uPVC), Steel Casing, Ductile Iron (DI), Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP), Fibre Reinforced Plastic (FRP), Vitrified Clay (VC) and if necessary, Reinforced Concrete (RC) jacking pipes. Where space is available on site, a prefabricated, welded pipe-string of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE - PE100/120) pipe can also be installed as with Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD). Depth of installations can range from as shallow as 200mm ground cover, to depths from 4 metres down to 12 metres where it becomes uneconomic to use traditional opencut methods, but length of installation is dictated by the vacuum capacity of the plant.
Large Boring Diameter
AXIS® has the capability to install pipe sizes from 200mm to 1500mm at lengths of up to 140 metres depending upon size, for manhole-to-manhole installations. The system is capable of maintaining the strict tolerance and accuracy required for graded gravity sewer, stormwater and water projects.
Laser Guided Accuracy
Trenchless installations undertaken by P&H using the AXIS® system, achieved grades as flat as 0.18% installed in very stiff ground (having an undrained shear strength of 180kPa). Our level of accuracy comes from a state of the art laser guidance system and onboard CCTV. With the bore head constantly monitored and controlled by the Operator we can bore and install to tolerances of ± 10mm.
▪ Inexpensive setup compared to traditional Micro-tunneling
▪ No requirement for engineered structural pits
▪ On-grade pipe installation with precision accuracy
▪ Laser guidance system
▪ Suitable for most ground conditions from sedimentary soils to igneous rock (untried in Metamorphic rock, as we have had no opportunities in NZ yet.)
▪ Superior productivity to alternative methods in many situations from variable cutter designs ▪ No fracking due to the use of vacuum, creating a negative pressure bore
▪ Clean trenchless job sites with minimal traffic disruption
▪ Modular design for site versatility and minimal disruption
▪ Suitable for pipe sizes between 200mm-1500mm in regular conditions
▪ Only 200mm minimum cover from surface required
▪ Minimal reinstatement costs due to small footprint of pits, which can then be used for manholes
▪ Reduced environmental risks such as less fluids and minimum soil displacement
▪ Variety of pipe material options available